Monday, June 11, 2012

I am not rich.

I absolutely HATE IT when people naturally assume that I come from a wealthy family just because I can afford to study abroad. I have literally heard it so many times, I might choke-slam the next person who says it; people on my Formspring, people I've just met, and even my friends. They always say stuff like, 

"Why do you care about a pound, you are so rich anyway."
"You won't understand why I am so poor because you have so much money."
"Just pay for my share, you are so rich anyway."
"I'm not like you, you know. I don't come from a rich family."

Well guess what, I DON'T EITHER. I may live more comfortably than a lot of people out there, but I didn't come here because my family has loads of cash lying around. I came here because I am lucky enough to have a father who had good sense to save up over the years. I am constantly worried about money right now because my mother is already working harder than she should, my father is retired, his savings are limited, and my brother has yet to enter University. The only difference is, I don't sit around all day whining about my concerns and blaming the rest of the world who are more fortunate. I put my worries into motivations to study even harder so that I don't waste my parents' investment.

When I buy things that I consider to be a luxury, I make it a point to use my own money. Money I earned from my blog, money I earned from nail-painting, money I can truly consider to be my own. How many of you can say the same? How many of you are still asking for money for every single shirt you buy, for the alcohol-ridden nights, for a fancy meal?

And it amazes me when some people have the cheek to suggest that I pay for some of their expenses (a meal out, movie tickets, shopping, etc). I have a good sense of humor but when a joke has been cracked one too many time, I know it's a reflection of what they secretly wish would happen. And that disgusts me. Do I march to Bill Gates and demand that he pay for my education?

So seriously, if you are one of the people who has done any of the above I mentioned, STOP IT before I go full-on crazy animal on you. And if you have always respected me in this sense, I'm sorry you had to read all that chunk. Haha.

No comments: