Friday, June 13, 2014

Dear You,

thank you.

I've always imagined that if we ever broke up, it would be executed in this way- no nastiness, no faults, no regrets. Even as we parted ways, you remain the same person that I have known and loved for the last ten years. So thank you, thank you that even as we reach the end of the road, you are still as genuine, good, and kind as you have ever been. This break up was unbearable, but I would never exchange our relationship for anything else.

You've fixed me. Please know that I will be eternally grateful for that. Before our three years together, I was a cynical lover, a faithless girlfriend. You transformed me; taught me to love with abandon, and gave me a reason to look forward to a future that included another person. And as I detach myself from the ideal of 'us', I find myself still seeking happiness and love with a hopeful heart. I'm no longer afraid to love, and I no longer equate "letting someone in" as "being vulnerable". All of this is a result of your impact in my life. While every other guy I've been with have left me more broken, you left me intact and even more whole than I've ever been.

"You gave me a love so deep that even the ocean would be jealous."

This is so true of you. No one's ever loved me the way you did, not as completely, not as thoroughly. Sometimes I think maybe no one ever will. But I can't limit myself and stop myself from finding out if that's true. You taught me to put myself out there and that's what I will do. The first thing you said in your first letter to me was "let go of your residual baggage", and I have.

Hand on heart, I wish you all the happiness in the world. No one is more deserving than you to find joy. And as I bid farewell to 'us' in this electronic letter, I want you to know that I am leaving with only positive feelings of what has happened and what is to come. I will not tarnish what we had with pity and grief.

I will always love you, Jehki.
I will remember the way you loved me, I will miss you from time to time, and I will strive to find something/someone else as perfect in my life. Never in comparison to you, but so that I will get to feel that way again.
I will always love you.

x

No comments: