Monday, July 15, 2013

Every today.

Every today since 2007, my boys and I would take a trip down to the cemetery and pay our respects to a good friend. He was my first male best friend, my first Muslim best friend, and the first person who taught me "to hell with what people think". He teased me relentlessly but protected me like a brother. He never let anyone mess with me.

Every today since 2007, I remember him. I remember his face, his smile, that cheeky glint in his eye. I remember his words, his fearless attitude, his irrational need to seek trouble. I remember how we used to be able to talk on the phone for hours, how he boasted about his latest lady conquests, and how he broke down crying on the few rare occasions.

Every today since 2007, I miss him to the extent of pain. I miss his rough slaps on my back, I miss his phone calls, I miss him threatening to hurt the boy who let me down. I miss his loyalty, his silliness and his laugh. He told me once that he never expected a "Chinese girl" to become his best friend and it made me really happy. I miss that.



Today, I prayed for him. Mostly because I didn't know what else to do.

Across our religions, across our faiths, across our worlds, I prayed x

No comments: