Saturday, July 20, 2013

Prelude to.

J and I have this quiet habit. Whenever we come across a funeral, we stop, he holds my hand in his, and we pray silently together. Sometimes he ends it by kissing my wrist. And if we are alone when it happens, we text each other "Just walked past a wake." and the other person will take a moment to pray.

This has always been a habit of mine, - since I was a child -, to say a little prayer for the deceased and their families. I've been doing it for more than half my life now. Last April, J just took my hand and when I looked at him surprised, I saw that he'd closed his eyes and joined me in the prayer. My heart swelled to the size of a melon and from then on, it just kinda became our 'thing'.

We don't ever speak about it, though. Most of the time, we just smile at each other and continue on with our day, yapping about insignificant events. I think it's because he knows how much death affects me personally. But I'm glad I can share this silly habit of mine with him. I wouldn't want it with anybody else. It reminds me of how kind he is and how he keeps on doing things that make my heart burst like pop rocks.

J is what I never knew I always wanted, and what I never knew I always needed x

No comments: