Monday, January 28, 2013

London Calling.

Divya and I popped down to London on Friday and basically just visited as many touristy places as we could squeeze in a day. It was pretty chilly but that also means less people on the streets and less weaving through the crowds for us. Even the underground tube was relatively un-busy. Score!!


Because we have a food-orientated friendship, our first stop was Borough Market - one of the largest food markets in London.



Poultry and Game stall, with corpses hanging over everyone's head. To quote Div, "CHARMING!" (imagine it being said in a thick British accent). Hahaha.


Essentially my lunch - Duck Confit Sandwich, with a crispy baguette drenched in vinegar and olive oil. This was orgasmic, 'nuff said.


These are cookies the size of your face.

Meringue tower.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present you the best brownie I have ever tasted. It's about 4cm thick and when you take your first bite, it just turns into the fluffiest brown cloud. So moist and so chocolatey. I bought two more back to Canterbury so that I can delay the withdrawal symptoms. Down to the last one in my fridge NOOOOOOOOOOOO~

Borough Market
Address: 8 Southwark St, London SE1 1TL (within walking distance from London Bridge station)
Hours: Mon-Wed (10am-3pm), Thur (11am-5pm), Fri (12-6pm), Sat (8am-5pm)

Delicious food aside, we tubed down to the National Science Museum because according to the website, it's meant to be really cool and it's free!!



There was a Cockroach Tour going on and I think it's a service provided by the museum. Basically, you dress up as a cockroach and you follow your cockroach leader around while he introduces every part of the museum. Looked like so much fun! People in the costumes did not look amused though, haha.


Best part of the museum has to be the Web Lab that is run by Google. You are given a lab card at the start and you just go around different stations, slot in your lab card and explore the endless possibilities of the internet. Whatever you do in the lab will be recorded into your card so that you can check back and reminisce at home. Plus, we met and spoke to Sam from Glee in this lab so...bonus!

My favorite was the Sketchbots. They take a picture of you and sketch in on sand.


That's me, with a ginormous nose :(

And that's Divya!

Science Museum
Address: Exhibition Road, South Kensington, London SW7 2DD (within walking distance from South Kensington station)
Hours: 10am - 6pm every day

Headed for dinner after, at Gold Mine.

It's not easy finding decent Chinese food in England, but Gold Mine is always my go-to place when I'm in London. We paid around 15pounds each. Not wallet-friendly, but it was really satisfying :) It's almost always packed, so make a reservation if there are more than four of you!

Gold Mine
Address: 102 Queensway, London W2 3RR (within walking distance from Bayswater and Queensway stations)
Phone: 020 7792 8331
Hours: 12-11pm everyday


Cheeky us did a little shopping at Westfield after dinner. Had a really fun day, met a few creepers and weirdos, and bought soooooo much stuff. I might do a little haul post soon, so check back!

And if you haven't noticed by now (shame on you), I CHOPPED MY HAIR OFF! My boob-length hair is now shoulder-length, the shortest it has been since I was 10. And I'm contemplating going even shorter. Hmmm, we'll see! xx

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jiayi, I hope you're doing good. You haven't update in awhile and I miss your post :) Hope to read your next post soon!

Anonymous said...

Very energetic blog, I liked that bit. Will there be a part 2?


Also visit my webpage: www.xfire.com

Jiayi. said...

Anon 1: Heya, just updated!! Sorry for the hiatus. I've been so busy with uni :O xx

Anon 2: This is all you will get for now! xx