Friday, January 31, 2014

G.

If there's one person I'm really thankful for meeting in 2013, it's G. He's a psychology student like me, but I only met him in my final year. It was hilarious the way we became friends, actually. It was the first lecture of the term and halfway in, the lecturer kept going on and on about a guy named Simmons.

"Poor Simmons came up with a theory..."
"Poor Simmons conducted a study..."

It went on for about 5 minutes and I started flipping through my lecture notes trying to find out about Simmons' background. I was so confused because I didn't understand why the lecturer thought he was such a poor thing. I think I mumbled something along the lines of "What's so sad about this guy?" and everyone around me stared at me weirdly. That confused me even more until G, who was sitting beside me, said "Not POOR Simmons...PAUL SIMMONS." We looked at each other and literally burst out laughing!!! I've survived well with the English accent for the past two years but never have I imagined falling victim to something as stupid as this!! G still uses this incident to tease me for being "so chinese". Haha.

That's basically how we became friends and since then, we've been hanging out almost every week, even when we don't have the same lectures. We make time for hot chocolate, a quick meal on campus, and sometimes lunch in town. I like to call him Georgie because we are both hardcore fans of Grey's Anatomy and I like to pretend he's O'Malley.

Honestly, I'm really grateful to have him as a friend. He's cool. The time he came into my life was the same time when I felt like I was losing another close man-friend. I was gutted but in a way, he filled that void. G feeds me banter and no-bullshit truths and advice to "stop being such a girl". He puts in effort as a friend and I really appreciate that. For example, when I went home for Christmas, he still bothered to Facetime/Skype me in wee hours of the morning. More importantly, he's been through something I am going through right now and he understands some things about me that few people can. It's only been 5 months of friendship but I've grown so much closer to him. He's just always been there.

Just this morning, I was feeling a little upset so he met me outside my flat. We went for a walk while I ranted like a little bitch, stopped by his place for tea, and I felt so much better after.

I have gained and lost so many people in my life since I've been here, so I treasure those who are here to stay. G is one of them, as far as I know.


//I haven't forgotten about J (in case you were wondering) and he is still the person I hold dearest to my heart. That won't change. Georgie and I share a very platonic friendship and J is fully supportive of that!

No comments: